Before using the windshield crack repair kit, it is necessary to understand some points. The windscreen is an essential part of a car, as it has important functions such as safety and security while providing you with a clear vision for easy navigation. The functions of your car windshield cut across security and safety, as it keeps out dust, rain, and the wind.
While also securing your properties from theft. As they are made of glass, they are frequently damaged. This is why a windshield crack repair kit always comes in handy. It must be of great quality, to provide a perfect fit for your windshield. Here are four reasons why you need a windshield repair kit.
- Safety: Your windshield plays a big role in your driving exercise, as it provides you with a clear vision to see ahead. Driving a vehicle with a cracked windshield will only leave you at risk of an accident, jeopardizing your safety. With a cracked glass repair kit, you can fix the damage, and travel safely.
- It is Cheaper: Replacing your windshield whenever there is damage is costly, making repairing the cheaper option. If you do not have insurance that covers windshield damage, the cost of a replacement will eat deep into your pockets. Explore the option of a repair, as it saves you cost.
- It is Cost-effective: Fixing problems before they worsen always saves you time, energy, and cost. This is the case with damaged windshields. Fixing the crack or rock chip damage on your windshield will stop further damage, and save you the cost of having to replace the windshield. With a windshield repair kit, fixing the damage is easy and straightforward.
- Do-It-Yourself: With a glass repair kit, you do not have to wait for a professional to fix your windshield. It is very easy to use and requires no special skills. The DIY nature of auto glass repair kitt makes it the best for many drivers, as they can fix their cars anytime, and in the
Do Windshield Repair Kits Work?
Yes, windshield crack repair kits are quite effective. However, you must be sure to consider the level of damage to the windshield for a repair kit to work. A windshield scratch repair kit works by filling up the cracks or chips, with the resin, hardening the broken part to a glass-like consistency.
This stops the crack from expanding while removing the blemish on the glass. The potency of a windshield glass repair kit depends on the quality of the product, so the durability of repairs is to varying degrees. A windshield repair kit of good quality will fill up the cracks of your windshield perfectly.
Windshield damage could take the shape of a flower or be star-shaped. It could also be a chip, bull’s eyes, or a crack. Be sure that the windshield repair kit that you choose is suitable for the damage, for it to work efficiently.
How to Use Windshield Repair Kit?
Using your windshield repair kit properly can go a long way in determining the durability of your windshield after repair. When done hastily, the windshield starts to deteriorate, eventually leaving you with no choice but to replace it. The first step to take in an auto glass repair is to buy a quality product. Low-quality repair kits will only give you low-quality solutions, and the windshield will be worse off in a short while.
It is not enough to purchase a windshield repair kit of good quality. You must also consider specifications. Consider the type of cracks, which the kits are meant for, and whether it suits your mobile windshield repair needs. The tools that it contains and the type of resin should also be considered. Once you have decided on your product, you can proceed to fix the windshield.
How to Repair a Cracked Windshield?
After getting the glass repair kit, you can proceed to work on fixing it following these steps carefully.
- Instructions: Always go through the instructions thoroughly before you start a windshield repair. This is because certain steps and procedures are unique to some brands of windshield repair kits. Once this is done successfully, you can commence the repair exercise.
- Crosscheck: Before you start, check and confirm that all the tools that you require are available in the kit.
Other things that could be included are the resin chamber pedestal and adhesive alignment seal. The instructions should also contain steps on how to use these tools.
- Remove Debris: Start by scraping all the glass and debris. This is to be done with the razor blade provided. This step is very important as it clears up the area of the windshield, which you want to work on, allowing you to get the best results.
- Add Resin: Follow up by adding resin to the crack. This is the main point of the repair and must be executed properly. You must ensure that no air bubbles are in the crack when you add the resin. This will ruin the effectiveness of the resin.
- Curing Strip: Once the crack is filled up with resin, you can proceed to put the curing strip on that area. This will allow the resin to fill the crack up properly. Leave the curing strip on while the crack dries up.
- Remove Excesses: Check at intervals to see if the resin has dried up. Once you are convinced that it is dry, you can remove all the excess resin on the windshield. The repair is over at this point.
How to fix a crack in your windshield?
Fix The Damage Quickly: You must carry out the windshield repair as soon as possible. This will prevent further damage to the windshield, and make the repair more effective. When you let the damage sit for a long period, the crack expands and is covered in dirt. When dirt gets into the crack, it is always very difficult to repair the damage. The dirt will block the resin, preventing the glass from bonding properly.
A Complete Set: You should choose a windshield repair kit that contains all the tools needed to fix windshield damages. You will require as a matter of necessity, tools such as curing strips, adhesives, resin, injector, razor blade, and applicator. Other tools that can come in handy include, pushpins, resin chamber pedestal, and alcohol wipes. With these tools, you can be sure to have the best repair experience.
Patience: You must be patient when carrying out a windshield repair, as this is the only way to get the best results. Take your time reading the instructions to avoid mistakes. Examine your tools and be sure of how to use them before starting. Take your time when it comes to cleaning the crack as well, as this ensures the effectiveness of the resin. Also, be patient enough to allow the windshield to dry off before removing the curing strip.
How To Choose A Windshield Repair Kit?
There are certain factors to consider when choosing a windshield repair kit. Keeping these things in mind will help you to choose the best option for your vehicle. The quality of the resin goes a long way in determining how well the repair will turn out. The resin of good quality will dry up properly, keeping the blemish on your windshield minimal. Resins of low-quality will leave a pale yellow shade on your windscreen, which asides from blurring your vision makes the glass unattractive.
You must check the sensitivity to temperature of any repair kit that you want to buy. Look out for this information in the instructions. While most kits are to be used under direct sunlight, some do not work well with the sun. Be sure to clarify this before choosing a kit. This is determined by the size of the crack on your windshield. While most repair kits are suitable for one-time use, you can also get a kit that can be used multiple times, if that is what the damage requires.
How Much Does A Windshield Repair Kit Cost?
The cost of a windshield repair kit varies from one brand to another. The price of a best windshield repair kit usually varies from $7 to $250, costing around $100 on average. It is important to avoid going for something too cheap, as products of inferior quality end up causing more damage. In the same vein, you don’t need to purchase the most expensive product available. Go for a product that is of good quality, and that ticks all the boxes of your specification.
Should I Repair or Replace My Windshield?
While we have established that not every damage to a windshield requires complete replacement, it must also be said that a repair does not suffice for every situation. There are instances when rather than a repair a full replacement is the best option. Below are clear instances to help you determine if a replacement rather than a simple repair is what is required.
If the size of the damage is not more than six inches, a repair is a safe option, but anything larger than that will require a car windshield replacement. You can contact a professional if you need clarity on the size of the damage. The area where the damage is located in a big determiner of what should be done to remedy it. For damages directly in the view of the driver, it is safer to replace the windshield.
This is because such damages can impair the driver, leaving them susceptible to danger. Repairs usually leave a mark, making it an unsuitable choice for such damages. If the damage is located at the edge of the windshield too, a simple repair is not safe. Damages to the edge can leave the windshield unstable, leaving you. For such damages, a total replacement is the best bet. You also want to consider the age of the windshield and how long you have been using it.
The amount of repairs that you have carried out on a windshield also goes a long way in determining if a replacement is the better option. Multiple repairs weaken the windshield, and it is best to go for a full replacement in most cases. You must note that professionals are best placed to carry out windshield replacements. The process is more technical than repairs and requires sophisticated equipment. They also know the best windshield replacement.
Maintaining your windshield is crucial to the safety of your car. You must therefore always pay attention to cracks and chips, without letting them worsen. A repair kit is your safe bet to get your windshield back to normal.
However, you must examine the extent of the damage at all times, to determine if a simple repair will suffice or a full replacement is more ideal. Always contact an experienced professional on any issue that requires clarity. A perfect windshield makes for the best drives.